W10 Entrepreneurial Journal Reflection

 This week we had the opportunity to study some good videos/readings.  One of my favorite is from Marissa Mayer.  She talks about how they allow their engineers to work on whatever they want 20% of the time.  I think that this is something that we should apply to our lives as well.  I think a lot of entrepreneurs start out with a 9-5.  I think that's fine, but I think it's important to apply this principle as well.  Outside of our 9-5, what are we doing to start our business?  What are we doing to chase our dreams?  What was cool was that 50% of the products that google launched that year (the year in which the video was taken) came from the 20% of time that they were allowed to work on whatever they wanted.  I think that that is a powerful message that we can all learn from. 

I also liked Dallin H Oaks talk called "The Challenge to Become."  I liked the story of the rich man and his concern with giving his inheritance to his children.  The man said, "All that I have I desire to give you -- not only my wealth, but also my position and standing among men.  That which I have I can easily give you, but that which I am you must obtain for yourself."  

I think that this is an important lesson to learn.  I think that a lot of want to be well off/rich.  It makes it easier to solve problems that you have in your life.  I think we would all love someone to give us a large sum of money.  However, like the talk also describes, if we don't "become" that person that can create/manage that type of money, we will waste it away rather quickly.  Those habits that we have will reflect what our financial situation looks like.  I guess what I am trying to get at is that our financial situation is a lagging measure of our habits and who we are.  I think this a very important for everyone to learn from.  It reminded me of the book Atomic Habits!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W05 Reflection: Entrepreneurial Journal

W03 Reflection: Entrepreneurial Journal